Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Jeff Tuesday March 09/10



Hey Kids, (and not just Sid)
Ok, it's post Olympic time in Vancouver and with the last vestiges of the celebrations being swept up and torn down by local contracters the city access is once again being handed back to the general public. It was a great party by all accounts and we looked good on all the American network television stations so, good for us. The Gold Medal Hockey game was perfectly scripted for the ages and over time I am certain the story will grow into legend. I tell ya though, I sure am glad Ryan Kessler plays for the Canucks. I could learn to hate him on any other team. BTW, he's one of my favorite players...
We were lucky enough to have been part of the festivities during the Olympics. We played the Commodore Ballroom on the 24th at the Manitoba Homecoming night and got to see our friends Bro' Jake and JJ from our fav music station in Vancouver, Rock 101. Nice to hang backstage with the guys and catch up a little. I've suggested to them to get me on the Rock 101 Golf team so I can put my 8 handicap to good use. Looking forward to that. Better bring my wallet I suspect...
We played the 2010 Olympic Celebration site out in Surrey the following night to a crowd of thousands of happy Olympic rock and rollers. It was a great event all round thanks to John Donnelly and his excellent staff who hosted and organized this first class show which ran every night of the Olympics. Thank you all for a great job. There are a couple of YouTube clips from the show that have been posted. Here are the links when you get a chance to have a look. BTW, these are brought to you courtesy of Jake Jacobs, our fabulous bass player and social director. Thanks Cake...
I've been dragging my ass a little the last couple of days as I seem to have picked up some kind of virus that has knocked me for a six. Sorry, that's an Australian/Cricket related expression. Ok, do you know anything about Cricket? Right, I didn't think so. Well, in Cricket when the bowler throws the ball towards the wicket and the batsman knocks it out of the playing field on the fly, that's a six as in, six runs scored. Kind of like a homerun in baseball except it counts as six runs (huh?). Anyways, the phrase "knocked for a six" means you've been kicked back considerably by something and are trying to recover... sorry, I noticed you just nodded off....
Hey, Look!!!!! Kate Moss fresh out of rehab!!!!!

Ok, now that I have your attention again...What the heck is with that stuff? I have had many friends over the years who have courageously, quietly and successfully gone about controlling their demons but in the Hollywood and the "I'm Famous" world it's seems to be treated as more of a spa vacation or even more ridiculous, a secluded and exclusive club to go and get covertly wasted! I have a hard time feeling sorry for some of these spoiled brats. However, I do have deep compassion for the invisible souls who are lost with literally nowhere to turn and don't have beauty, money or fame to conveniently spin their addictive behaviour into the "society's fault" category. I realize that just because they are famous does not make them perfect but seeing Mary Hart on Entertainment Tonight again wishing some mollycoddled, b-list movie star good luck with their 4th trip to rehab and how we are all "pulling for them during this difficult time"... yikes. Let's get our priorities straight here. I'm on my way to the Union Gospel Mission this morning to make my donation to the UGM's upcoming Easter Dinner for those folks who have nowhere else to turn. It's a small gesture of human kindness and I urge you to do the same, if you can, wherever you live. I know how lucky I am. To have the luxury and abundance that I have makes me truly God blessed. I hope you feel the same way about your own life.
Right, that's it for me for today. I'm back to looking for deals on flights, routing shows and renting 15 passenger vans. Guess I'd better get dressed. Pretty sexy this rock and roll business...
Peace Out,
J.

No comments: