Saturday, July 10, 2010

Jeff Saturday July 10/10

Hey Kids,
Well here it is, a quiet Saturday afternoon and I am home for a rare summer weekend. We played in Edmonton last night and had a great show. (So, how can you possibly be home Jeff? you may be asking yourself... or not. LMAO. Uh, how about, a 5:00am wakeup call for an 8:00am-ish flight home...... zzzzzz) Anyways, sold out and rockin' as per the usual boisterous Alberta that we know so well and look forward to everytime. We actually ran out of merchandise last night, I mean nothing left no CD's, no t-shirts... nada. (That can't really be a word? Perhaps Spanish? ideas anybody?). Really impressive and humbling at the same time. We have such great fans...
Ok, I thought I'd also post a couple of shots from our Canada Day show in Winnipeg taken by our good friend Don Windsor. Don has taken a lot of photos of the band over the years and you will find his work all over our website. Thanks as always Don for your time and talent. That was a fun night as well with over 20,000 friends in attendance, including kids and families. A lot of people who don't usually get out to our shows. You just have to look at this shot of Kenny with the kids to understand the kind of night it was. Such a great vibe, the weather was beautiful (although hot) and the whole production went off without a hitch for us. Many
thanks to the CanadInns and a big shout out to Jay Pauley and for including us in this years festivities. Man, it was really hot that night. We played for maybe 30 minutes and I was drenched and exhausted by the end. I can't imagine how hot it must have been for the acts playing during the day... yikes!
I am totally proud to be Canadian BTW, although some of our national political agenda in recent years has left me a little confused...
Overall, it has been a very good summer for us and considering the currently precarious state of the music industry all over North America, we are very fortunate. We may not be the biggest touring act out there but, like a Dave Matthews or Phish, we continue to be able to tour consistantly because of the loyalty of our fans. Thanks to you all for that. We are actually in one of the best periods of the band's career, in my humble opinion. We have an appreciation for what we have and know that it is precious and could disappear at a moments notice. Some of our contemporaries are not always seeing this and from the feedback that we get from all of you at our meet and greets, you are not happy about that as well. I don't blame you. I know some of these guys and I see some pretty unrealistic attitudes and the occasional sense of entitlement that is completely out of whack with reality. Listen, I have had my ass and ego kicked by life and circumstance on more than one occasion so I appreciate every little moment of goodness and good fortune that finds it's way to me. I play music that I love with guys whom I respect AND like being around plus, I earn a living doing it. It is a privilege for me to play for you. I may not be the biggest star in the world but you know what, I am good with that. However, it does not mean that I am not without ambition. What I am trying to say is, I am grateful for what I have each day and I try to do my best to build on that with some integrity, honesty and be fearless about hard work or challenge. Oh yes, and be grounded in reality. That helps a lot. Know where you are at and you will be less likely to make an ass of yourself in front of friends, fans or collegues. (remember, I said LESS likely!! LOL).
Ok, let's end with some light relief...
Funny quote of the week, "I hate being bi-polar... it's awesome!" (Courtesy of my chum Mick Dalla-Vee) Thanks bro', you made me laugh out loud... that's the best medicine ever!
Ok kids, the early morning has caught up with me now and I'm seeing double so, I am going to take a siesta on the sofa and be lulled to sleep by HD golf on TV... fore!!!!!!! five, six...zzzzzz.
Rock on...
J.


No comments: